Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Baked Spaghetti

Tonight we had Baked Spaghetti on the menu, I'd estimated that this would take about 2 hours to prepare, but it appeared that it would be a "hands-off" two hours: a little prep work, let it sit and cook, a bit more prep, cook some more, prep one more time, cook and serve.

The prep took much longer than anticipated.

This recipe starts out by making a sauce, which will sit and simmer for about an hour.


the start of the sauce

I was about a third of the way through the ingredients list when I realized that this sauce is extremely similar to my homemade sauce... so similar that I decided to eyeball the measurements and add in a few other things. I added a bit more garlic (powder, not fresh); I substituted minced (dried) onion for fresh chopped (and I'm sure I used way more than called for); I skipped the bay leaves (I've never liked bay leaves); I also skipped the green pepper (didn't feel like chopping today), but tossed in a cup or so of frozen veggies*. I also added some leftover spaghetti sauce that I had in my freezer from a while ago- maybe a cup? Also, this recipe calls for 2 cups of diced tomatoes and 2 cups of tomato sauce. A can of tomatoes is 14.5 oz, tomato sauce is 15 oz- each notquite 2 cups. I figured it would be ok, and I'd do it again at just one can of each. The tomatoes I used were the kind with garlic and onion... I never buy the plain diced tomatoes, always with flavor.


sauce is ready to simmer for an hour

*About my frozen veggies: Shortly after I started WW, I bought lots of fresh veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, squash, zucchini, onions, mushrooms, carrots) and spent an evening dicing, mixing, and bagging them into gallon-sized freezer bags. These bags of frozen veggies have been fantastic for me- it's so easy just to toss a handful or so into whatever I'm cooking to "healthy" it up a bit. (Even boxed mac & cheese tastes better with a couple of cups of veggies!) My family never minded that I was adding veggies to most of our meals, and the kids sometimes prefer to eat the veggies instead of the rest of the entree! I always have these on hand in addition to whatever other frozen/canned veggies I have, and I tend to use these way more often.
The first time I did this, I let the veggies sit out for a couple of hours before I got them into bags and in the freezer... they dried out quite a bit before I froze them. I wish I'd done that every time, because the juice from the veggies forms ice inside the bags- I have to break up the ice before I can scoop out the veggies.



my bag of veggies

After letting the sauce sit and simmer for about 45 minutes, I started browning the ground beef. Mine was stored in our chest freezer and took at least 15-20 minutes to go from really-frozen to brown, so I added it right into the sauce when it was ready.


doesn't that look delish? sauce with meat added

The sauce/meat mix is supposed to simmer for another 20 minutes, so I used this time to cook the pasta. The recipe calls for 8 oz of uncooked spaghetti, I used one full 12 oz box. (Because what am I going to do with 4 oz of pasta?) I added water to the pan I'd used for the meat and put the pasta right in- didn't worry about cleaning it first. The extra bit of grease from the meat was enough that I didn't feel the need to add any oil to the water, and I think it gave the noodles an extra bit of flavor.


noodles cooking in water and leftover beef grease

Finally- ready to prepare for the oven! This is where I was ready to call it quits and just serve it like regular spaghetti. I was ticked that it had taken so long to prepare (especially when the sauce was so much like my own, I usually add ground beef to my sauce, too!); and I couldn't see what good baking this in the oven was going to do other than take longer. The Prince was starving. But I kept working, essentially building a lasagna.

First a layer of sauce, then noodles, then cheese. (The recipe calls for 2 cups of soy or FF cheese. I used maybe a cup-ish of 2% cheddar, because I was unable to find soy or FF cheese. FF cottage cheese would probably be great in this.)





I layered until I was out of noodles, topped with sauce (the top layer was a bit skimpy on sauce), and FINALLY put it in the oven to bake for 30 min. Take it out, top with cheese, return it to the oven. Set the table, take dinner back out of the oven and serve. We sat down a little after 6, I started this project at about 3:45. My kids like to eat between 5-5:30.


ready for the oven


all done!


this took some work- it did not look this nice on the other plates!

Was it all worth it? Oh yeah- I'm actually surprised at how good this really was! I figured it would just be glorified spaghetti, nothing too exciting (and I was not happy about that, based on the amount of time involved). And it really was just glorified spaghetti, but it was gooood.


the Princess approved!


so did the Prince!

Next time, I'll use just one can each of the tomatoes/sauce (like I did today) OR I'll use 2 cans if I don't have any leftover sauce to add in- probably because I used extra noodles, there almost wasn't enough sauce. Again, I'd wing it on the sauce recipe and add in the veggies (still omitting the green pepper and bay leaves). I would use the whole box of pasta, too- that worked well. I would SKIP the cheese- I couldn't taste it anyway- or use FF cottage cheese in between the layers to give it more of a lasagna taste. If I could find WW lasagna noodles, I'd definitely use those instead and really make it a lasagna instead of baked spaghetti. No need for cheese on top, it's only really good if you use a lot so it gets ooey-gooey, and with this amount I didn't think it was worth it. Most important thing about this meal? EAT SLOWLY AND SAVOR IT- I realized when I got up for seconds that I didn't need more, but I still wanted more, so I got just a couple of bites and enjoyed those slowly.

If you try this, I really hope that you enjoy it as much as I did. Be liberal with your spices/seasonings, this might be a bit bland as written.


All-Core, all-day except for the cupcake at breakfast!

1 comment:

  1. I love your idea of the frozen veggies!!! I have two young children as well and it is hard to get them to eat anything good for them. Heck, its even hard to get my husband to eat them. I am going to try your idea of freezing / throwing the veggies in other foods. You rock!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping in... have a great OP day!