Sunday, February 3, 2008

Super Bowl food

On my planned menu for today, I have onion rings, spinach/artichoke dip, and sweet potato fries.

Because I just did onion rings this past week, I think I'm not going to be making those. I bought some wonton wrappers this week, (thinking I'd make some Pizza Bites) but then I thought about making Spinach/Artichoke Bites- putting some of the dip in the wrappers! I was also thinking about making mini meatballs today, as they were also on my menu for last week... which has been totally ignored due to the sickness at my house.

In all honesty, though- none of this really sounds good to me today. Hubby went back to the Dr. yesterday morning and was diagnosed as having the early stages of pneumonia... I have either a really light case of the flu or a nasty cold... and the kids are fine, just suffering from a few coughs and runny noses. Hubby has spent the better part of the last FIVE days sleeping... I have been pretty ok, except Friday when I was really dizzy most of the day. Mine goes in waves, alternating from being almost fine to wanting to crawl under a rock.

The kids have been eating a lot of chicken nuggets and canned veggies, we've been taking a lot of pills and vitamins. We're not going to even talk about the number of points I've eaten in the last few days. I figure that my body needs the calories to fight whatever this is. :)

At this point, I'm still planning on making the meatballs today. Those are SO good, and will get eaten. They are ALMOST core- the only non-core item in them is the stuffing. The entire box of stuffing is 12 pts, so depending on how many I make, these will be 1 pt for maybe 3 or 4. I'll figure it out and let you know how I do. The recipe is here (as a meatloaf), but I usually make it into small meatballs. I got a very similar recipe from a WW leader about a year ago, so I think that maybe this one has been floating around the WW circles for some time.

For some reason, the link to the meatloaf recipe isn't working- it appears that the entire site is down right now! I found this recipe on the Bootcamp Buddies- Weight Watchers Support Forum, under the heading "Stove Top Meatloaf":

2 lbs 96% lean ground beef
1 box Stove Top Stuffing
1/2 cup egg substitute
(I will use 2 eggs)
1 cup water

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix all ingredients together and add a bit of ketchup and dijon mustard (optional). Divide into 2 loaves, coat with a thin layer of ketchup or barbecue sauce and bake for 45 minutes or more until meat is no longer pink.

Serves 8
WW Winning points- 4.75/serving
(Winning Points indicates that this has definitely been around a while!!!)

Total recipe is 38 points so you can choose to get more or less servings depending on how many points you have to spend. ***Be sure to adjust points if you use a different grade of beef.



Like I said, I make these into mini meatballs. I cook them in the microwave, on a pan that I know of as my "meatball pan"... but I don't know what it is really called. It isn't easy to describe, so I'll post a picture of it when I post pictures of the meatballs. I've also made this recipe in muffin tins (as someone on that forum suggested), but my family wasn't too impressed with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping in... have a great OP day!