Thursday, February 28, 2008

Latte Demonstration

I've had a couple of questions about how I make my morning latte, so I decided to walk you through. The princess thought I was nuts this morning, taking pictures of myself making my coffee- but I guess it's nothing new! LOL

About a year and a half ago I worked out how much hubby and I were spending on buying coffee... waaay too much. I decided that we could be making our own for much less money, so I did a little investigating and decided to start with a stovetop espresso maker. We paid less than $20 for the silver one at World Market, I THINK it is the 6 serving size.



I bought the pink one recently, thinking that I never use all of the espresso that I make each morning, and that I wanted the smaller, cuter one for myself. Hubby hasn't been drinking coffee lately, and I thought that this would be the perfect size for just me. I was wrong- I've only used it once, and it didn't make nearly as much as I use... I guess I use more than I realized.

I don't actually make espresso- it is technically called "stovetop espresso", which is similar to a "cafe americano"- or halfway between coffee and espresso. For more info on my espresso maker and how it works, this Wiki page about the Moka Express is fantastic!

I use regular coffee grounds instead of the expensive espresso grounds. I don't know if there is a taste difference, but the cost difference is incredible. I've been buying my grounds at Sam's Club- I pay about $6 for this big tin:



I measure out a cup of skim milk and microwave it- my microwave has a "beverage" setting that I use... about a minute and a half, I think.





While the espresso and milk are cooking, I measure out my syrup. This week I'm using the Kahlua flavor, and since I decided to decrease the amount of syrup I use, I've been using 50 mL- which is about 1.6 ounces. The measuring tube I use is a teeny baby bottle (Enfamil) that we got from the hospital when the princess was born- I use it because I don't have a teeny measuring cup and this does the job. I go ahead and pour it into my mug while I'm waiting for the milk and espresso.







When the milk is done, I pour it in, then add espresso to top off the mug- if I'm using a bigger mug, I end up having more caffeine for the day. I'd never measured the espresso before today, but it turns out that I use almost a full cup (!!!) of espresso! (Wow, no wonder I have the jitters sometimes!) I ALWAYS use a travel mug. I like to take my time with my coffee, and it might take me an hour or two to drink the whole thing... the travel mug really helps to keep it warm. Also, I am picky about my mugs and will only buy 16 or 20 oz mugs- anything smaller and I don't have enough room, anything bigger and it takes too much espresso.



And that, my friends, is how Blondie makes her morning latte. :)

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the demo...that looks delicious...I will have to go to World Market!:)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping in... have a great OP day!