Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Baked Spaghetti with a twist

I LOVE this recipe. Since I first made it and posted about it, I've made it a few more times. Each time I've made it (after the first try), I've made extra and frozen it for later consumption- turns out perfect every time! (The only downside being that I cook it 2-2.5 hours at 350 from frozen... you have to plan ahead.)

Today I decided to try something a little different with this recipe. I am low on frozen/canned veggies; and more than once I've considered tossing in a can of vegetable soup to add more veggies and flavor. Today I took the plunge and added THREE cans of soup- minestrone, vegetable, and tomato. I also added a bag of mixed soup beans (dry). I don't have much ground meat in my freezer, so I'd rather not use what I have to make this sauce meaty- I figured that adding the beans would bulk it up and add fiber and protein, cheaply. I used 2 cans of spaghetti sauce and 4 cans of diced tomatoes, so this is a big pot of sauce- I sure hope it tastes ok! I started simmering my sauce around noon, so the beans will have plenty of time to re-hydrate before it's time to eat them.

I'm trying to decide whether to use whole wheat or regular spaghetti. I'd rather use the whole wheat, but I have a ton of regular stockpiled (bought a lot when it was on sale, maybe before I started Core). At this point, I'm considering using some of both- maybe a box of the ww and a bag of the other.

I'm getting hungry just thinking about this- hope it's good!

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to try this recipe!
    Blondie, do you attend the meetings? Right now they are doing a Lose for Good program where WW will donate a lb. of food to the hungry for every lb. you lose. That's on a national level. On a local level our WW is collecting food for the local Multiservice Center and we have been donating food to that with this program. So maybe you could donate your regular spaghetti locally and switch to just wheat becuase it is more on the Core program. Just an idea!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping in... have a great OP day!